(Hindustani / Karnatak / Rabindra Sangeet / Percussion Instrument – Vocal/ Instrumental and Musicology)
Special Instructions :
This paper has two parts. Part-I consists of 50 objective questions common to all, which is compulsory and carries 2 marks each. Part – II has Four sections viz Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V – Hindustani, Karnatak, Rabindra Sangeet and Percussion Instruments with 25 questions each of 2 marks each. Candidates should select any one of the Part II / Part III / Part IV / Part V as per his / her discipline.
PART – I
Hindustani / Karnatak / Rabindra Sangeet / Percussion Instruments – Common to all
1. Match the following :
2. ‘________ wires were in Vipanchi veena’, said Bharat ?
3. In which vocal system, Bhasha-Vibhasha are placed ?
(D) Dhruwa Geeti
4. Mark the correct answer :
(A) Aanandini, Dipani, Bhawni, Medini, Tarawali
(B) Medini, Aanandini, Dipani, Bhawni, Tarawali
(C) Tarawali, Bhawni, Dipani, Aanandini, Medini
(D) Bhawni, Dipani, Aanandini, Tarawali, Medini
5. Who is the writer of ‘Shringarhar’ ?
(A) Maharana Hammir
(B) Maharana Bappa Rawal
(C) Maharana Kumbha
(D) Maharana Raj Singh
6. Which one of the following artists is not a Sarod Player ?
(A) Ustad Ali Akbar Khan
(B) Ustad Amazad Ali Khan
(C) Ustad Vilayat Khan
(D) Ms. Sharan Rani
7. “Kan Gujari” singer are related to which state of India ?
(C) Andhra Pradesh
(D) Madhya Pradesh
8. In which capacity, ‘Pancham’ is transferred from its own place in Madhyam Gram ?
(A) From Tivratam
(B) From Utkarsh
(C) From Mridutva
(D) From Apkarsh
9. How many swaras are used by Pt. Lochan in his Ragas ?
10. Principal characteristic of Moorchchhnaa is
11. Whose work is “Meeting by the River” ?
(A) Pt. Ravi Shankar
(B) Ustad Bismillah Khan
(C) Pt. Vishwa Mohan Bhatt
(D) Ustad Amjad Ali Khan
12. ‘Ektantri’ Veena was called by which name ?
(D) Alaabu Veena
13. Who has composed ‘Raagkadamb’ musical composition ?
(B) Gopal Nayak
14. Raagaang is taken from which of the main Raaga
(C) Chaiti (Poorvi Mela)
(D) All above
15. Aamad is a technical terminology of which of the following art ?
16. ‘Pramaan Shruti’ is placed on which Shruti ?
17. Sitar has evolved from which of the following instruments ?
(A) Kachchhapi Veena
(B) Ghoshwati Veena
(C) Ek Tantri Veena
(D) Tri Tantri Veena
18. Which one is the instrument without Sarika ?
(C) Vichitra Veena
(D) Sur Singaar
19. Name the percussion instrument attached to the ‘Nathdwara’ tradition
Mark the correct option by recognising
(A) Atharvediya Mantra
(B) Rigvedi Richaa
(C) Saam Gaan
(D) Karnatak Geet
21. The book Captioned ‘Vaidik Index’ is written by
(A) Prof. Lalit Kishore Singh
(B) S.K. Dixit
(C) McDonel and Keith
(D) A.K. Kumarswami
22. Which one is not mentioned in eight rasas of Bharat ?
23. Which one is in right form of ‘Praman Shruti’ ?
24. The chapters of ‘Raga Tarangini’ of Lochan is named as
25. ‘Sadara’ is related with
26. Who was the inventor of Raag ‘Laajwanti’ ?
(A) Ust. Faiyaz Khan
(B) Ust. Bande Ali Khan
(C) Ust. Amjad Ali Khan
(D) Ust. Allauddin Khan
27. Which raga is composed with Komal Nishad in Shudh Nath ?
(D) Gurjari Todi
28. Who was the inventor of Gramophone ?
(A) Thomas Alwa Edison
(B) Albert Einstein
(C) Walter Menn
29. ‘Budhva Mangal’ music programme is related to which city ?
30. Gharana of Abdul Karim Khan
31. Which artist has established Maihar Band ?
(A) Ustad Allauddin Khan
(B) Pt. Nikhil Banerjee
(C) Ustad Vilayat Khan
(D) Ustad Abdul Haleem Zafer Khan
32. The Gharana of Pt. Ajay Chakravarty
33. How many Banis are in Dhrupad ?
34. Which Raagas are mixed in Raag Jog ?
(A) Bhairav + Malkauns + Kafi
(B) Jogiya + Bhairav + Gunkri
(C) Bhairav + Kafi + Raageshri
(D) Baageshri + Rageshri + Malkauns
35. To which rag the following combination of notes :
“Sa N.i dh.a N.i Ga Re, Sa Re, Ga, Ma, Pa” belong to ?
36. The famous Nawa graha kritis have been composed by
(A) Swati Thirunal
(D) M.S. Subhalaxmi
37. The 72 melakarta scheme has chakras
38. Assertion (A) : Sahitya is of secondary importance in Absolute music.
Reason (R) : Sacred music belongs to the sphere of Absolute music.
(A) (A) is true (R) is false.
(B) Both (A) & (R) are true.
(C) (R) is true (A) is false.
(D) Both (A) and (R) are false.
39. Buta Sankhya is found in
(B) 35 Tala schemes
(D) 72 Melakarta schemes
40. A raga in Hindustani Music similar to Karnatic Raga Subha Pantuvarali
41. According to Tagore, which instrument is not appropriate for accompaniment with Rabindra Sangeet ?
42. Rabindranath used three types of rhythmic pattern to compose his songs such as Akshar Britta, Swar Britta and ________
(A) Tala Britta
(B) Laya Britta
(C) Matra Britta
(D) Chhanda Britta
43. Which one is the biographical presentation of his life written by Rabindranath ?
(B) Jiban Smriti
(C) Pitru Smriti
(D) Rabi Smriti
44. How many matras are in ‘Teora’ Tala ?
45. Which one is the sign of ‘Som’ or 1st matra of any Rabindrik Tala ?
46. Music Department of ‘Vishwa Bharati Vishwavidyalaya’ is called as
(A) Sangeet Bhavan
(B) Sangeet-Kala Bhavan
(C) Sangeet Vidyalaya
(D) None of the above
47. In which city, Ali Akbar College of Music is situated abroad ?
(D) New York
48. Which percussion instrument is from Karnatic music ?
49. In Natyashashtra, instrument is called by which name ?
50. The value of first matra (Dhin) of Jhumra tal is
PART – II
51. ‘Panchamadi Moorchchana’ of Bharta’s ‘Sadaj Gram’ is called as
52. Bahadur Sen is related to which instrument ?
53. Which one of the following is frequency of Shuddh Dhaivat of Western Shuddh Swar Saptak ?
54. Who was the founder of ‘Chakrik- Prakriya’ for measurement of ‘Swar- Samvaad’ ?
(A) Pt. Bhatkhande
(B) Pt. Paluskar
(C) Pt. Lalit Kishore Singh
(D) Pt. Omkarnath Thakur
55. Who was the inventor of “Shruti- Darpan Vaadya” ?
(A) Kailash Chandradev Vrihaspati
(B) S.N. Ratanjankar
(C) Nihshank Sharangdev
(D) Acharya Bharat
56. Which of the following is in correct order ?
(A) Swaramel Kalaanidhi, Natyashastra, Vrihaddeshi, Ratnakar, Ragtatvavibodh
(B) Ragtatvavibodh, Ratnakar, Vrihaddeshi, Natyashashtra, Swarmelkalanidhi
(C) Natyashastra, Vrihaddeshi, Ratnakar, Swarmelakalanidhi Ragtatvavibodha
(D) Vrihaddeshi, Natyashastra, Ragtatvavibodh, Ratnakar, Swarmelakalanidhi
57. Match List – I with List – II and select correct order from the codes given below :
58. In which Puran the name of Kalpas are based on the notes on music ?
(A) Vishnu Puran
(B) Vayu Puran
(C) Brahm Puran
(D) Narad Puran
59. The kakali was related to which note in Bharat age ?
60. The place for discussion on music is called in Upnishad as
61. Music in Buddha Age was named as
62. The evening Raga based on the notes of Rag Bhairav is
(A) Ahir Bhairav
(B) Nat Bhairav
63. Panini has named Orchestra (Vrindavadan) as
64. _________ Alankaras Sthai Varnas in Sangeet Ratanakar
65. The Ragas presenting two Angas is ________
(D) Kaushi Kanhara
66. ________ is Vrihannala in Mahabharat
67. How many Bharatratna for Sushir Vadya ?
68. Only one Persian Music Book available between 12th and 13th century is
(B) Heel Imali
69. Match List – I with List – II and select the correct answer from the codes given below :
70. The music of Lochan’s period was based on which gram ?
71. Which instrument was prepared by Helmhotz for recognizing the ‘Anshikas’ of Mishra Swara ?
72. The interval of Shuddh Swara Saptak of Indian music (Hindustani) is
(A) 301 Severt
(B) 204 Severt
(C) 96.9 Severt
(D) 227.2 Severt
73. Identify the ‘Kalyan-Mela’ with the basis of ‘Shadaj-Interval’
74. Who made the ‘Cyclic Theory’ ?
(A) Alain Danielov
(B) Jairaz Bhoy
(D) Mark Lavy
75. Find correct sequence :
(A) Alaap, Fast Gat, Jod, Jhala
(B) Fast Gat, Jod, Alaap, Jhala
(C) Alaap, Jod, Fast Gat, Jhala
(D) Jod, Alaap, Fast Gat, Jhala
PART – III
51. Mitra Ragas have
(A) Common Svaras
(B) Names with common endings
(C) Derived from same Mela raga
(D) All the above
52. Correct sequence :
(A) Mararanjini, Charukesi, Sarasangi, Harikamboji
(B) Charukesi, Sarasangi, Mararanjini, Harikamboji
(C) Sarasangi, Charukesi, Mararanjini, Harikamboji
(D) Charukesi, Sarasangi, Harikamboji, Mararanjini,
53. Stress on a note is termed as
54. Opposite of Sama Graha is
55. Assertion and Reasoning :
Assertion (A) : Art in India was independent of Religion.
Reason (R) : Temples have been repositories of Art in India.
(A) (R) is false (A) is true.
(B) Both (A) and (R) are false.
(C) (A) is false (R) is true.
(D) Both (A) and (R) are true.
56. Match the following :
57. Variations on musical theme by the Vaggeyk kara
58. Match the following :
59. The number of Aksharakalas in Misra Jati Mathya tala
60. Kattalais are found in
(A) Vedic music
(C) Tevaram hymns
61. Tamil Pan similar to present day Shankarabharana
62. A Veena named after a celestial musician
63. Arrange the following in order of Parent scale :
(A) I, III, II, IV
(B) II, III, I, IV
(C) II, I, III, IV
(D) I, II, IV, III
64. Assertion and Reasoning :
Assertion (A) : Grama in the ancient times was evolved only to find new scales.
Reason (R) : Murchanas evolved from Jatis.
(A) (A) is true (R) is false.
(B) (R) is true (A) is false.
(C) Both (A) and (R) are true.
(D) Both (A) and (R) are false.
65. Prithvi Lingam
66. A series of svaras arranged without proper sequence :
(B) Kalpana Svara
(C) Svara Koruppu
67. Panchavadhyam includes
(B) Sudha Maddalam
68. Dvianya Svara Bhashanga Raga
69. The greatest composer of Gitas after Purandara Dasa
(A) Vina Kuppayyar
(B) Paidala Gurumurty Shastri
(C) Ramnad Srinivas
(D) Narayana Tirthar
70. Composer of Viriboni Varnam
(A) Vina Kuppayyar
(B) Pachimiriyam Adiyappayya
(C) Ramaswamy Sivan
(D) Patnam Subramanya Iyer
71. Guru of Tyagaraja
(A) Sonti Venkataramanayya
(B) Sonti Venkatasubbayya
72. Match the following :
73. A Daru
74. In Desadi Tala music commences after
75. Narayana Tirtha’s composition are called as
(A) Krishna Gitis
(D) Suladi Tarangas
PART – IV
51. Shanta, Amar & Pramada are the characters of which Dance-Drama of Tagore ?
(A) Kal Mrigaya
(B) Natir Puja
(C) Taser Desh
(D) Mayar Khela
52. Who composed the song ‘He Antaryami, Trahi….’ ?
53. Who was the editor of ‘National Paper’ magazine ?
(A) Gopal Mitra
(B) Sukumar Roy
(C) Nabagopal Mitra
(D) Somendranath Tagore
54. Which one is the correct divisional structure for Ada-Chartal used by Tagore for his songs ?
(A) 3 | 2 | 4 | 4
(B) 2 | 4 | 4 | 4
(C) 4 | 2 | 4 | 4
(D) 4 | 4 | 4 | 2
55. Pick up the odd one from the following lists :
(A) Jhampak / Ardha Jhaptal
(B) Teora / Tivra
(C) Dadra / Kashmiri Khemta
(D) Kaharwa / Rupak
56. How many Matras are in Choutal or Chartal ?
(D) None of the above
57. ‘Nibira Ama Timir Hote’ song is based on which category ?
58. The following song is based on which category ?
‘Amar Mallika Vane’
59. The song ‘Tomar Khola Hawaye’ is based on which ‘Tala’ ?
60. Who also played veena alongwith singing from among the following artists ?
(A) Shailajaranjan Majumdar
(B) Shantidev Ghosh
(C) Pankaj Kumar Mallick
(D) Anadi Kumar Dastidar
61. How many divisions are in Sur Fak Tal ?
62. How many ‘Fhak’ or ‘Khali’ is in Tibra Tal ?
(D) None of above
63. In accordance with the total number of matra, which ‘Rabindra Tala’ is similar to Hindustani tala ‘Rupak’ ?
(B) Ardha Jhaptal
64. How many songs were not composed by Tagore among the total 157 no. of songs in ‘Geetanjali’ ?
65. In the song ‘Tomar Asime….’ which ‘Vivadi Swar’ is used to make this composition ‘Raga Bihag’ ?
(A) Komal Dhaivat
(B) Komal Nishad
(C) Tivra Madhyam
(D) Komal Gandhar
66. ‘Antaratara Antaratamo Tini Je….’ song is known as
(A) Rabindra Sangeet
(B) Kabya Sangeet
(C) Baul Sangeet
(D) Brahma Sangeet
67. Who received the title of ‘Rangraj’ & ‘Tanraj’ ?
(A) Gopeswar Bandopadhya
(B) Jadu Bhatt
(C) Ganga Narayan
(D) Vishnu Chakraborty
68. ‘Ami Chanchal He’ song is based on
which ‘Tala’ ?
69. ‘Ada-Khemta’ tala has the following characters :
(A) 3 Talis & no Khali
(B) 3 Talis & 1 Khali
(C) 3 Talis & 2 Khalis
(D) 4 Talis & 0 Khali
70. How many divisions are in ‘Naba Taal’ ?
71. ‘Jat’ tal is divided into how many divisions ?
72. ‘Ore Natan Yuger Bhore’ song was composed to celebrate which occasion ?
(B) Basant Utsav
(C) Varsha Utsav
(D) Bengali New Year
73. ‘Aaji Subho Dine’ song is based on which ‘Tala’ ?
(A) Sur Fak Tal
74. ‘Ei Udasi Howar Pathe’ song is based on which category ?
75. ‘Aaji Praname Tomare’ song is based on which ‘Tala’ ?
PART – V
51. Who among the following was a renowned artists, who was a good Tabla player ?
(A) Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia
(B) Ustad Bismillah Khan
(C) Pt. Shiv Kumar Sharma
(D) Pt. Bhimsen Joshi
52. 9/4 indicate which layakari ?
53. On which beat 3rd Tali of Shikhartal is placed ?
(A) 7 beats
(B) 8 beats
(C) 9 beats
(D) 10 beats
54. Which Rishi is associated with Pushkar Vadya ?
55. The prominent artist of Laggi playing to accompany semi-classical music
(A) Skaikh Daud
(B) Ustad Nizammuddin
(C) Shri Kanhai Dutt
(D) Ustad Karamatullah Khan
56. Which one among the following is not the category of Jati ?
57. Which is the shortest unit of Tal ?
58. Who was the Guru of Karamat Khan ?
(A) Pt. Gyan Prakash Ghosh
(B) Ustad Ahmed Jan Thirakawa
(C) Ustad Amir Hussain
(D) Ustad Masit Khan
59. Which is not a category of Tihai among the following ?
60. By which tal Tappa Gayaki is accompanied ?
61. How many beats are there in the ‘Navpanch’ tal of Rabindra Sangeet ?
62. The author of ‘Playing Technique of tabla’ is
(A) Ishwar Lal Mishra
(B) Pt. Chhote Lal Mishra
(C) Pt. Kumar Lal Mishra
(D) Pt. Sheetal Prasad Mishra
63. Bhatkande Sangeet Mahavidyalaya has been conferred the university status in the year
64. Which renowned tabla player was expired recently ?
(A) Pt. Chhote Lal Mishra
(B) Pt. Gyan Prakash Ghosh
(C) Pt. Kishan Maharaj
(D) Ustad Aafak Hussain
65. In which of the Gharanas, the playing of description of theka is performed ?
66. Which Tala has different varieties ?
(A) Tin tal
(B) Ek tal
67. From where, Kuad of Rudra tala will start ?
68. In which university, dept. of tabla or percussion, instrumental is not separate ?
(A) Kashi Hindu Vishwavidyalaya
(B) Indira Kala Vishwavidhyalaya, Khairagarh
(C) M.S. Vishwavidyalaya, Vadodara
(D) Bhatkhande Vishwavidyalaya, Lucknow
69. ‘Dhama’ the instrument like tabla is used in which state ?
70. From which Matra, the composition of Maseet Khani get started ?
(A) 10th Beat
(B) 11th Beat
(C) 12th Beat
(D) 13th Beat
71. In which Tala, Farmaishee Chakkardar of Jhaptala will be played without any change ?
(B) Aada Chautal
(C) Teen Tal
72. In which Tala, playing is possible without any change of Kamali (minimum of seven circles) of teental ?
73. Which Pakhawaj Player has resided in Kashi for a long run ?
(A) Kodau Singh
(B) Swami Pagal Das
(C) Nana Panse
(D) Ram Das Sharma
74. Which Mridanga player is renowned as eminent of Laya ?
(A) Pal Ghat Raghu
(B) Ram Nad Ishwaran
(C) K. Shivaraman
(D) Ayodhya Prasad
75. Tabla player, who had received President Award is
(A) Pt. Veeru Mishra
(B) Pt. Kanthai Maharaj
(C) Ustad Abid Hussain
(D) Ustad Kadir Bax