SECTION – 1 : (One or More Than One Options Correct Type)
This section contains 10 multiple choice questions. Each question has four choices (A), (B), (C) and (D) out of which ONE or MORE THAN ONE are correct.
1. For the reaction :
The correct statement(s) in the balanced equation is/are
(A) Stoichiometric coefficient of is 6.
(B) Iodide is oxidized.
(C) Sulphur is reduced.
(D) is one of the products.
2. The pair(s) of reagents that yield paramagnetic species is/are
3. In the reaction shown below, the major product(s) formed is/are
4. In a galvanic cell, the salt bridge
(A) does not participate chemically in the cell reaction.
(B) stops the diffusion of ions from one electrode to another.
(C) is necessary for the occurrence of the cell reaction.
(D) ensures mixing of the two electrolytic solutions.
5. Upon heating with Cu2S, the reagent(s) that give copper metal is/are
6. Hydrogen bonding plays a central role in the following phenomena :
(A) Ice floats in water.
(B) Higher Lewis basicity of primary amines than tertiary amines in aqueous solutions.
(C) Formic acid is more acidic than acetic acid.
(D) Dimerisation of acetic acid in benzene.
7. The reactivity of compound Z with different halogens under appropriate conditions is given below :
The observed pattern of electrophilic substitution can be explained by
(A) the steric effect of the halogen
(B) the steric effect of the tert-butyl group
(C) the electronic effect of the phenolic group
(D) the electronic effect of the tert-butyl group
8. The correct combination of names for isomeric alcohols with molecular formula C4H10O is/are
(A) tert-butanol and 2-methylpropan-2-ol
(B) tert-butanol and 1, 1-dimethylethan-1-ol
(C) n-butanol and butan-1-ol
(D) isobutyl alcohol and 2-methylpropan-1-ol
9. An ideal gas in a thermally insulated vessel at internal pressure = P1, volume = V1 and absolute temperature = T1 expands irreversibly against zero external pressure, as shown in the diagram. The final internal pressure, volume and absolute temperature of the gas are P2, V2 and T2, respectively. For this expansion,
10. The correct statement(s) for orthoboric acid is/are
(A) It behaves as a weak acid in water due to self ionization.
(B) Acidity of its aqueous solution increases upon addition of ethylene glycol.
(C) It has a three dimensional structure due to hydrogen bonding.
(D) It is weak electrolyte in water.
SECTION – 2 : (One Integer Value Correct Type)
This section contains 10 questions. Each question, when worked out will result in one integer from 0 to 9 (both inclusive).
11. In an atom, the total number of electrons having quantum numbers n = 4, |ml | = 1 and ms = –1/2 is
12. The total number of distinct naturally occurring amino acids obtained by complete acidic hydrolysis of the peptide shown below is
13. If the value of Avogadro number is 6.023 × 1023 mol–1 and the value of Boltzmann constant is 1.380 × 10–23 J K–1, then the number of significant digits in the calculated value of the universal gas constant is
14. A compound H2X with molar weight of 80 g is dissolved in a solvent having density of 0.4 g ml–1. Assuming no change in volume upon dissolution, the molality of a 3.2 molar solution is
15. MX2 dissociates into M2+ and X− ions in an aqueous solution, with a degree of dissociation (α) of 0.5. The ratio of the observed depression of freezing point of the aqueous solution to the value of the depression of freezing point in the absence of ionic dissociation is
16. Consider the following list of reagents :
Acidified K2Cr2O7, alkaline KMnO4, CuSO4, H2O2, Cl2, O3, FeCl3, HNO3 and Na2S2O3. The total number of reagents that can oxidize aqueous iodide to iodine is
17. The total number(s) of stable conformers with non-zero dipole moment for the following compound is (are)
18. Among PbS, CuS, HgS, MnS, Ag2S, NiS, CoS, Bi2S3 and SnS2, the total number of BLACK coloured sulphides is
19. Consider all possible isomeric ketones, including stereoisomers of MW = 100. All these isomers are independently reacted with NaBH4 (NOTE : stereoisomers are also reacted separately). The total number of ketones that give a racemic product(s) is/are
20. A list of species having the formula XZ4 is given below.
XeF4, SF4, SiF4, , [Cu(NH3)4]2+, [FeCl4]2−, [CoCl4]2− and [PtCl4]2−.
Defining shape on the basis of the location of X and Z atoms, the total number of species having a square planar shape is