LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – VISUAL COMMUNICATION
SECOND SEMESTER – APRIL 2006
VC 2501 – MEDIA CULTURE AND SOCIETY
(Also equivalent to VIS503/VC 222)
Date & Time : 24-04-2006/1.00-4.00 P.M. Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Give very brief answers to ALL the following questions in about 50 words. (10×3=30)
- Dizzying multiplicity of a medium.
- What is meant by `consumer sovereignty’?
- Why should we deconstruct a media text?
- What is a `technical event test’?
- The two contradictory ways in which ideology is commonly used.
- What is meant by ‘over accessing’ to the media?
- Briefly explain one of the legal constraints on the media.
- What is meant by `referral upwards’?
- The first and basic principle of media education.
- How does editing fictionalize a media text?
Answer ANY FOUR of the following not exceeding 200 words each. (4×10=40)
- Bring out the differences between Information as Service and Information as Commodity.
- Write a short note on the Manipulation of Sound.
- What are the seven basic reasons to study media as explained by Len Masterman? Briefly explain one of them.
- Modern media encourage the `industrialization of the mind’. Explain.
- Write a short note on the Effect of Camera and Crew on a media text.
- Briefly explain how the concept of ideology evolved in history.
- Write a short note on the three techniques used in the study of narratives.
Write essays on ANY TWO of the following not exceeding 450 words each. (2×15=30)
- Explain how hegemony and myth serve the dominant ideology.
- Media tell us stories incessantly. Explain with special reference to sports, news and documentaries.
- Write a critical analysis of the role of advertising in media world.
- Explain the four traditions through which media education evolved.